Author Topic: Here it comes!  (Read 9961 times)

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
Re: Here it comes!
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »

"Look at it as Star Trek TNG.  And Fred is Gene Roddenberry."

Good point- and I hope it turns out as well. I just have a little fear that it will be more of a reboot than a sequel or follow up.

pastorscott

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 07:18:20 PM »
While exercising today, I noticed that CNN had a news headline on the bottom of the screen announcing the new show. And I heard that Fox News also had a news headline. 
Looking forward to the new show.  I love the pic of Daniel's son putting on his sneakers.  Looks like the creators are honoring/respecting the old show while going forward for the 21st century. 

Degeneration X The Owl

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2011, 07:35:13 PM »

I was looking at the pic, and I noticed the cabana on the right.  Is that a nod to Westwood?

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
    • The Neighborhood Archive
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 12:53:58 PM »
From the Fred Rogers Company:

http://www.fredrogers.org/daniel.html

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 11:26:08 AM »
I wonder how many people who were involved behind the scenes with MRN will be involved? I would hope people like Margy Whitmer would be involved. Also I know that aside from playing Mrs. McFeely, Betsy Seamans (sp?) wrote for the show too. I hope these people who have Neighborhood blood so to speak, will have a great deal of input in the show. From the comments about the music that followed the vimeo clips (now removed) seemed to be negative, I guess all of the songs won't be Freds. I guess there's probably a conscious effort to introduce new songs, to not live soley in the past, but I would hope many of Fred's songs will still be used. And maybe Michael Moricz (sp?) can provide underscore?

Another thing to think about- generally animated series like this are produced for 2-3 seasons at most. There are exceptions of course. But because the audience continues to outgrow the material, those same 2-3 seasons are rerun until the show is pulled from the air. We're all kind of anticipating this show "being" the embodiment of Fred's work, as if it's going to occupy the same place for this generation that MRN did in ours. Realistically, even if it approves extremely popular, it's shelf life will probably only be 5-8 years at most.

Paul

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 12:23:19 PM »
I agree Eric. This will be a great, new, wholesome show, but it defiantly is not anything close to a new Mister Rogers. FRC is already doing a lot to make MRN available. Now PBS just needs to broadcast like it was meant to be - in weeks, not a random episode at 5 AM on Saturday morning. Fred Rogers’ legacy and the messages he taught on the show are timeless and not outdated, and concerning outdated typewriters, etc, do you ever watch movies that have outdated things in them? I’m very interested to see what this show is going to be like…

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 12:38:07 PM »
I think Paul summed it up: this new show is not going to be "anything close to a new Mister Rogers."

And I don't think it's supposed to be. I think many folks here , as adults, are hoping for a recreation of what shaped their childhoods. Realistically, that's never going to happen.

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood was a wonderful part of a half-century of children's television. But a certain point comes where a program/company/message must move forward. As I've said before, the Neighborhood program was a terrific part of my childhood (and yours); but the current generation craves something different. This program is ideal as it will still communicate the messages of Fred Rogers, just in a new way -- through new characters and new songs and in a new format.

Meanwhile, I think the Fred Rogers Company is owed a great deal of thanks for making the effort to satisfy the audience of adults (myself included) longing to continue viewing the original Neighborhood program through Amazon, the PBS website, and other avenues for viewing.

It is very important to remember that we are not the target audience. This is a children's show. I, for one, cannot wait to share Fred Rogers' legacy with my kids through this new program.

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 01:00:07 PM »
Any discussion of this show, especially so far before it's debut and with so little information, runs an extreme risk of sounding like complaining. I hope none of my comments aren't taken that way. Personally, I'll try ot keep it positive. I'm sure there will still be lots of speculating and with that comes "I hope they'll do it like this". Let's all try to keep that from de-evolving into "If they don't do it my way it will mean the end of the world".

NeighborC

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »
Another thing to think about- generally animated series like this are produced for 2-3 seasons at most. There are exceptions of course. But because the audience continues to outgrow the material, those same 2-3 seasons are rerun until the show is pulled from the air. We're all kind of anticipating this show "being" the embodiment of Fred's work, as if it's going to occupy the same place for this generation that MRN did in ours. Realistically, even if it approves extremely popular, it's shelf life will probably only be 5-8 years at most.

I would agree there. The animated series tend to produce just a few seasons, run for reruns for a while and are then gone. Five or six years is pushing it for most, but not all. Look at Arthur, it's been on for nearly 15.

Anyay, whatever happens, I think it's great that the Fred Rogers Company is taking the time and investment to do this.

NeighborC

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 08:18:15 PM »
I agree Eric. This will be a great, new, wholesome show, but it defiantly is not anything close to a new Mister Rogers. FRC is already doing a lot to make MRN available. Now PBS just needs to broadcast like it was meant to be - in weeks, not a random episode at 5 AM on Saturday morning. Fred Rogers’ legacy and the messages he taught on the show are timeless and not outdated, and concerning outdated typewriters, etc, do you ever watch movies that have outdated things in them? I’m very interested to see what this show is going to be like…

I don't think the show looks all that dated. At least not, the post-79 shows, which is what was shown anyway since the early 90s. It would be nice to see the series come back for regular viewing on weekdays. I don't see it happening though. At least the website and DVDs have been made available, the FRC has been very gracious in doing that much at least.

Neighborhood Archive

• Administrator
  • Make-Believe Neighbor
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »

Eric S

• Westwood Neighbor
    • The ol' sketchbook
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 01:51:33 PM »
I've never felt that the more recent episodes of MRN felt dated either, but then having been born in the late 70's, I couldn't possibly perceive it the same way that kids of today would.

Lawrence Martin

• Westwood Neighbor
  • Me at the Fred Rogers center
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 02:05:35 PM »
I love this link this helps know some of the things that will show up from the pre neighborhood of make-believe and know that we will see O the Owl and Prince Wednesday it seems like X The Owl and King Friday XIII had large family's on the neighborhood can you name some of the members of there  family's   http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/arts-entertainment-living/tuned-in-journal/29601-more-details-on-daniel-tigers-neighborhood
your neighbor
Lawrence
Lawrence L Martin

Dais79

• Southwood Neighbor
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 03:26:35 PM »
I hope all this "dated" talk is not a misinterpretation of what I said earlier.  Fred Rogers and his message are timeless. . .TIMELESS.  And more essential today than ever.  There is nothing more timeless than making people feel loved, accepted and that their feelings are normal.   I am sorry I chose the word "dated" since that seems to have a negative connotation and caused people to get defensive, when that was not my intention.   Fred is timeless, but the things that surround him on the show are going to age.  It's a fact that in no way makes MRN less awesome or even less relevant. . .it is just going to make it harder for it to appeal to new viewers who lack the gateway of nostalgia.   The show has aged very well in my opinion, I am sure because of a conscious effort of all those who made it.  I think we have all said at one point on here that in order to get his message out to a new generation, a new format is a great idea.  The neighborhood is always going to be home for those of us who grew up with it, and hopefully through DTN more people are drawn in to the awesomeness of the original which they can now access thanks to the efforts of the FRC.
"You know, I think everybody longs to be loved, and longs to know that he or she is lovable. And, consequently, the greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they're loved and capable of loving."
- Fred Rogers

bka

• Westwood Neighbor
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 07:14:03 AM »
 I'm re-posting this. techno-challenged :

the more Sesame Street was "entertaining", he less interest Fred (who billed himself as a "real" person in contrast to the "actors") had in the operas, for me the most precious of all his creations, in which both profundity of subject and whimsey were united, and child development, though implicit, did not coerce content) had (and, I was told, PBS) in making them accessible to children & theaters in the real real world. More and more Mr. Rogers sought to distinguish himself (and the program) from suchlike. We who asked wer told that there would be no market for them, that the videos were too imperfect for translation to CD, that there was no money to produce the librettos in book form, etc. It was "what part of "No" do we not understand?" Never even a recording by the neighbors of beloved songs while Johnny Costa was alive.  For me there was always "a time", because incidents from my private life were made into programs (see All in the Laundry"), and because, for example, the tender intimacy that Daniel (developmentally the youngest character in the NOM) and Lady Aberlin shared, was particularly a blessing for the actress who was (is) childless.  I will reserve judgement about "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" until I can bring myself to watch it, if ever I do. Suffice it to say that Fred all but promised Chuck Aber (the only actor he ever permitted to address the camera directly, on a program when Fred himself left his television house for a few moments - who would have been PERFECT to carry on!) that he would succeed him.  But Fred, an only child for 11 years before his adopted sister arrived - ultimately could not carry through.  We actors had so hoped that as we grew older and new people (young & old) entered the television reality and the NOM, that the treasure store of music and themes could continue.  Several of our puppeteers (& those who voiced them) would have been capable of the voices - we had been marinated in those creatures, some of us for 40 years) - I can even do a credible Kind Friday! - but it was "No." Not that any of us were consulted.  Appropiate our best ideas? Yes. Let us have any input in the future? No. It is significant that the new outfit is called The Fred Rogers Company, rather than Family Communications. I am hopefull that there will be excellent writers, and that some of the actors, who were not so misguided as to stand up for themselves, will be employed for the voice-overs. But cartoon versions of Daniel - next generation? - is antithetical to everything we created. Unlike any other program, we made a distinction between reality and make-believe. To have a cartoon Daniel going into a cartooned Neighborhood of Make-Believe will cost the suits and the Company less money.  Perhaps they have created the very kind of program that the raised-on-cartoons numbers-crunchers of PBS would find "hot". But we were all about the precious nature of human beings, young and old.  Audrey Roth (an unsung gem of wit & wisdom, also an artist) is still alive, and she doesn't get invited to the very few personal appearances that Mr. McFeeley invites his fellow characters to. David Newell arranges it so he himself will always work - he has long been head of PR for the Company. You may say this is sour grapes. But I would not have given so many years of my life the the vision we shared, had it ever occurred to me that it could be reduced to a visual coloring book, unimaginatively drawn, and all the colors inside the lines.  this is the kind of direct communication we were prevented from having with you, dear viewers. Maybe you think it is untoward of Lady Aberlin.....not sweet enough.....but thank you for listening.  ugga-mugga